Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Obama: Just Like Everybody Else


I've spent the last 12 hours straight watching President Barack Obama make history. There's nothing I can say here that so many others have said or will say, so expect no insight.

But I can record my own feelings... for the first time in my life, I have seen a true leader take the office of President. That's what the President is - a leader. There are many leadership styles, true, but I guess for me he's the real deal.

His speech was stirring, as it should have been. I really did expect an "Ask Not..." speech. I am so glad that it wasn't. What it was, was the basic outline of a real program of pulling this country together. There were no great catchlines, but some wonderful ideas.

Hope has been the President's theme from the very beginning, and that is precisely what he has delivered.

I think it's a realistic hope. No reasonable person expects miracles, but it is finally dawning on people all over the country, even all over the world, that change is possible, that things do not have to stay the way they are.

And that family! I guess part of my attraction is that I have been through some things that he hasn't. His little girls are yet to grow up, and I've been there. I understand something on a personal level about the President's life! How cool is that?

I know, I know, they are all human, they all have something in common with me.

I'm gushing a little here. I don't want to finish this post. I keep thinking I'm going to say something profound, but that ain't likely.
So, my Obama post. I am happy, I am hopeful, I am satisfied. So very, very rare.

No comments:

Post a Comment